Prospective Walk-On:

We appreciate your interest in Utah Valley University basketball and would like to inform you of the process to walk-on/tryouts. Due to NCAA rules we are not allowed to evaluate you at our open gyms, or hold personal workouts prior to official walk-on tryouts. The only time it is permissible to evaluate you is as a prospective student athlete, during live recruiting periods at your high school/junior college open gyms or at NCAA sanctioned events. The following links lead to the correct steps/paperwork which will help make the transition to allow you to be eligible for walk-on/tryouts. If you have any questions please feel free to call the basketball office at 801.863.8539.

Dick Hunsaker
Utah Valley University Basketball

UVU Walk-On/Tryout Process:

Part 1: Print out the Walk-On Try-Out Clearance Card and get Assistant Coach's signature (CLICK HERE to download the Walk-On/Try-Out Clearance Card) then proceed to Part 2:

Part 2: The Walk-On/Try-Out Clearance Card must be filled out. Follow the directions below concerning the Walk-On/Try-Out Clearance Card:
• You must complete each step in order.
• **In Step 2, per NCAA rules, you must register (paid fee) and also now check your amateur status with the NCAA Eligiblity Center (
(CLICK HERE to download the Release and Assumption of Risk Agreement).
• **In Step 4, the physical exam may be done and signed by any doctor. You may go to the school clinic for the exam. Do not go to the UVU athletic trainer (CLICK HERE to download the physical form to take with you to the doctor).
• After completing steps 1-6, bring the completed Walk-On/Try-Out Clearance Card to the UVU Compliance Office that is located in the Wolverine Service Center (1165 W. 800 S.).

Links to other important Web sites:

UVU Links (admissions, financial aid, orientation, costs...)

NCAA Eligibility Center Student Info Page

Core Courses

Eligibility requirements

Banned Substances

Amateurism Certification

Transfer Guide

SAT Web Page

ACT Web Page

One-Time Transfer Exception NCAA by-law One-Time Transfer Exception. Effective Date: Aug 01, 2008 The student transfers to the certifying institution from another four-year collegiate institution, and all of the following conditions are met (for graduate students, see also Bylaw (Revised: 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, for those student-athletes who transfer to a Division I institution for the 2005-06 academic year and thereafter)

(a) The student is a participant in a sport other than baseball, basketball, bowl subdivision football or men's ice hockey at the institution to which the student is transferring. A participant in championship subdivision football at the institution to which the student is transferring may use this exception only if the participant transferred to the certifying institution from an institution that sponsors bowl subdivision football and has two or more seasons of competition remaining in football or the participant transfers from a football championship subdivision institution that offers athletically related financial aid in football to a football championship subdivision institution that does not offer athletically related financial aid in football; (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93, 1/11/94, 1/10/95, 11/1/00, effective 8/1/01, 4/27/06 effective 10/15/06 applicable to student-athletes who transfer on or after 10/15/06, 12/15/06, 4/27/07 effective 8/1/08 applicable to student-athletes who transfer on or after August 1, 2008)

(b) The student has not transferred previously from one four-year institution unless, in the previous transfer, the student-athlete received an exception per Bylaw (discontinued/nonsponsored sport exception); (Revised: 1/11/94, 1/11/97)

(c) The student is in good academic standing and meets the progress-toward-degree requirements. The transferring student must be one who would have been academically eligible had he or she remained at the institution from which the student transferred, and he or she also must be eligible at the certifying institution as a regularly enrolled, full-time, degree-seeking student who was admitted in accordance with the regular, published entrance requirements of the institution. The student shall not be required to fulfill the necessary percentage-of-degree requirements at the previous institution; and (Revised: 1/10/95, 1/9/96)

(d) If the student is transferring from an NCAA or NAIA member institution, the student's previous institution shall certify in writing that it has no objection to the student's being granted an exception to the transfer-residence requirement. If the student's previous institution denies his or her request for the release, the institution shall inform the student-athlete in writing that he or she, upon request, shall be provided a hearing conducted by an institutional entity or committee outside of the athletics department (e.g., the office of student affairs; office of the dean of students; or a committee composed of the faculty athletics representative, student-athletes and nonathletics faculty/staff members). The institution shall have established reasonable procedures for promptly hearing such a request. (Revised: 1/11/94, 4/26/01) Nonrecruited Student. A student-athlete who does not qualify for the exception due to Bylaw may use the one-time transfer exception, provided he or she was not recruited by the original four-year institution and has never received institutional athletically related financial aid from any four-year institution. (Adopted: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)