- INSIDE ATHLETICS
- STUDENT ATHLETES
- FAN ZONE
- WOLVERINE CLUB
Team Finishes Third; Casper T5th
Chris Curran is entering his fourth season as the head men's golf coach at Utah Valley University.
During his tenure, he has guided the Wolverines to their highest national ranking ever at 44th (2011-12), has coached a two-time NCAA Regional Qualifier (Mason Casper, 2011-12, 2012-13), and has earned one career victory (Battle in the Tetons, 2011), 14 top-5 team finishes and 18 top-10 team finishes.
Curran arrived in Orem after spending two seasons as an assistant for both the men's and women's golf teams at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Okla. -- his alma mater. After a year at the helm of the Utah Valley women's golf team, he inherited a men's squad that had concluded the 2009-10 season with a final ranking of 297 in the country. That figure has improved in each of Curran's three seasons, with the Wolverines enjoying a ranking as high as No. 44 during the 2011-12 season.
Curran's pre-UVU résumé is equally impressive, as he has seen his share of NCAA postseason success both as a coach and a player. He helped coach the RiverHawks' men's team to an 11th place finish at the NCAA Division II Men's Golf Championships in May of 2009. The team also won the 2009 Lone Star Conference Championship as well as a tournament title at the Red River Invitational.
The women's side also had a taste of the NCAA Championships with Curran on staff as an assistant, with an individual qualifier finishing 10th at the Western Regional in 2009. His sister, Julie, played golf on the Northeastern State women's team.
As a player for NSU from 2004-07, Curran and the RiverHawks participated in four consecutive NCAA regional appearances and also achieved the school's highest-ever national ranking, No. 7, in 2007.
Curran was also a part of three straight Lone Star Conference Championships and was the team captain as a senior in 2007.
He attended Sapulpa High School in Sapulpa, Okla., where was a four-year letterwinner in golf and a three-time qualifier at state. He also lettered twice in basketball in high school.
Curran graduated with a bachelor's degree in marketing in 2007 and a master's degree in health & kinesiology in 2009.
· 1 win (Battle in the Tetons, 2012)
· 14 Top 5 finishes
· 18 Top 10 finishes
· 1 Golf Coaches Association of America All-America Scholar Athlete (Nick Tarasiewicz, 2010-11)
· 2-time NCAA Regional qualifier (Mason Casper, 2011-12, 2012-13)
· 2-time America Sky Conference POY (Mason Casper, 2011-12, 2012-13) · Farmer Insurance All-Academic Team was recognized for having a 3.5 or higher GPA for the 2011-2012 academic year. One of 9 teams in the country to receive this award.
· 44th (High National ranking, 2011-12)
2009-10 Women's Head Coach
· Team Low 18 Hole Round 310 Utah Collegiate Shootout
· Team Low 36 Hole Score Utah Collegiate Shootout
· Lowest Team Scoring Average in school history
· Highest Team Finish 2nd Northern Arizona University Mountain Shootout
· Brittany Butler, Erika Baldwin Named to All Great West Second Team
· 3rd Place Finish at Great West Conference Championship
2010-11 Men's Head Coach
· First Golf Coaches Association of America All-America Scholar Athlete - Nick Tarasiewicz
· Joey Olson, Nick Tarasiewicz Named to the America Sky All-Academic Team
· Mason Casper Wins SUU Pat Hicks Invitational
· Mason Casper Named to All America Sky First Team
· 5th Place Finish at America Sky Conference Championship
· Team Champions at The Battle in the Tetons
· Mason Casper Medalist (-14 tying the school record). It was his second victory ties him for most victories in a career.
· Team Runner-up at Washington State University's Palouse Collegiate
· Team Runner-up at Cal Poly's Firestone Grill Championship
· Highest National Ranking in school history at No. 44
· Mason Casper qualifies for NCAA Regionals in Stanford, Calif., and finishes in a tie for 55th. Casper was UVU's first-ever NCAA Regional qualifier.
· Mason Casper named America Sky Conference Golfer of the Year.
· Farmer Insurance All-Academic Team was recognized for having a 3.5 or higher GPA for the 2011-2012 academic year. One of 9 teams in the country to receive this award.
· Placed second at the BSU Dash Memorial; 3rd at the America Sky Conference Championships; 3rd at WSU Snowman Getaway; T3rd at the Battle in the Tetons; 5th at the COG Mizzou Intercollegiate
· Mason Casper picks up third career victory by winning the BSU Dash Thomas
· Mason Casper named America Sky Conference Golfer of the Year
· Mason Casper earns second straight NCAA Regional bid