Soccer Drops 1-0 Decision at Weber State

WOLVERINEGREENDOTCOM Nicole Slater battles for possession Wednesday at Weber State
Nicole Slater battles for possession Wednesday at Weber State
Sept. 5, 2012

Box Score

OGDEN, Utah -- The Utah Valley University soccer team failed to find the net for the first time in 2012, dropping a 1-0 decision at Weber State Wednesday afternoon at Wildcat Soccer Field. Each of the Wolverines' four losses this season have come by a one-goal margin.

"We connected well and created dangerous opportunities at the end of the first half, but we were flat in the second half," said UVU head soccer coach Brent Anderson. "We're all a little frustrated with our most recent results, but we have to keep focusing on the positives. We'll build on that and move forward. Once we hit our stride I think we can be very good."

A WSU(1-4-0) goal in the 31st minute opened the scoring for the game as well as the Wildcat season. Freshman forward Mackenzie Harrison, working along the endline, sent a low pass back towards the middle of the box. The pass found fellow freshman Stacy Bair, whose quick shot made the score 1-0. The goal, the first of the game, was also the first for WSU in its 2012 campaign as the Wildcats had gone scoreless in its first four contests.

UVU (1-4-0) nearly equalized just minutes later when senior Regan Benson took a long pass from Dunn and got behind the defense on the right side. Her cross into the box found Shalayne Janis uncovered, but her right-footed volley skimmed inches above the crossbar.

Benson continued to create chances for the Wolverines late in the first half, pushing the attack from the right side. Twice the senior beat the WSU defense into the 18-yard box, but twice had her attempts at goal denied by Wildcat goalkeeper Ryann Waldman.

The second half was played largely between the boxes as neither team forged any real scoring opportunities. Each team tallied six shots in the second half, but with only one shot from either side on goal, both goalies went untested.

UVU pushed forward late seeking the tying goal, but was unable to connect up on its final crosses and through passes. The Wolverines' best chance to tie came midway through the half when a corner kick was met by Kim Stratford's head in front of the box, but the shot was deflected wide.

Robison had three shots in the match for UVU, followed by two apiece form Benson and Natalie Baker. Splitting the goalkeeping duties, Jessica Duffin finished with three saves while Lauren Sack notched one.

WSU collected its first win of the season after losing its previous three games by a score of 1-0.

UVU reverses its path on I-15 for its next match, heading south for a meeting with Southern Utah in Cedar City Saturday. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. at Thunderbird Soccer Stadium. SUU is 0-4-0 on the year and the Wolverines lead the all-time series between the two schools 5-3-2. Last year in Orem, UVU and SUU battled to a 3-3 draw.